3/30/15

Interview with Artist, Sculpture, and Workshop Instructor, Regina Hurley

SCAS: Tell us the basics: Where are you from? 


RH: I was born in Youngstown Ohio and came to California with my parents and siblings when I was 10 years old.  We came across the country by station wagon camping and landed at Doheney State Beach. I've been in orange county ever since.

 
SCAS: What type of art/medium if your favorite to work with?

RH: I have been known to master many of the mediums. Watercolor, oil, acrylic, drawing and then sculpture of course. In sculpture I've worked extensively in bronze and Clay, with some stone carving. Currently I am up obsessed with painting on porcelain, particularly small murals.

 SCAS: How long have you been sculpting? How did you get into it?

RH: I have been sculpting professionally for about 30 years.While earning a  BFA in painting, I fell in love with Sculpture after having 2 classes in sculpture.  Before returning to school for my MFA in sculpture, I created numerous bronze sculptures including a life-size sculpture as well as a monumental size.  


SCAS: Why do you like teaching? Do you have a particular style of teaching? 

 RH: I like teaching because I feel I have something to offer and people enjoy learning. I teach by lecturing, demonstrating and then helping each student with their particular need.

SCAS: We're excited about your workshop. What skills we learn? What will we do? 

RH: The skills taught are clay handling techniques and tools to use.  I have taught figurative sculpture for 25 years and have developed successful techniques for teaching  the student to understand and capture the anatomy in clay. You will learn to sculpt the human head and also firing techniques to make it permanent.

SCAS: If we want to sculpt at home, do we need tons of supplies and space? (a studio with clay, a wheel, a kiln etc.) 
 
RH: The supplies are simple. For this class, little working space is needed. Of course if you were going to make large sculptures life size etc. you would need a large space to work in.  To make the sculptures permanent a kiln is needed. I offer the students to fire in my kiln for a small fee.

SCAS: Anything else you want to add?  

RH: This class is also beneficial to painters and those who love life drawing, to better understand the anatomy of the portrait.  Please check the syllabus I sent for more information.

SCAS: Once again, thank you! We're so excited to have you sharing your skills with our artist community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment